How it happens

Home
About the Coalition
About Lead Poisoning
Policy Agenda
Community Summit
For Parents
For Health Care Providers
For Teachers
For Landlords
For Contractors
Articles
Bibliography
Glossary

Up How it happens The damage Where

It's the housing...

Lead poisoning in Monroe County is almost entirely the result of lead paint in homes paint that is peeling, flaking or simply deteriorating into dust.   Homes built before 1978 have a high probability of containing lead; homes built before 1950 have even higher likelihood of lead.

As the paint deteriorates it contaminates the window wells, window sills and floors and other horizontal surfaces of the household. Exterior paints deteriorates and contaminates the soil of the yard, particularly the drip lines and the perimeter of the house.

When toddlers crawl, they get lead on their hands and toys and then they put their hands in their mouths.

 

If the paint is very badly deteriorated it is even possible to be poisoned by breathing in the tiny particles of lead.

The major sources of lead in the home are windows, porches and doors.

Lead can poison anyone at any age.  But the greatest damage is done when the brain is developing in very young children.

Coalition to Prevent Lead Poisoning 

Committed to ending childhood lead poisoning in Monroe County by 2010

For more information, contact:  pbrantingham@leadsafeby2010.org